Thursday, February 15, 2007

That's My Girl

My girls basketball team had a tournament this past weekend. I was really nervous about it because we have only had 1 other game and only a few practices because of weather, etc. I wasn't sure how the girls would do and I was honestly very apprehensive about the entire weekend. Had I prepared them enough? Did I teach them the right things? Do they understand what I've taught them? If you know much about me at all... I hate to lose.

I couldn't have been more proud of them. The girls completely stepped up and proved they were ready to win and ready to play. We won two games and lost 1. We only lost the 1 game by 1 point to the team that won the tournament... we came into the tournament as the last seed. Of course I had my moments of shaking my head because they would forget what I had taught them or not do what they knew they should... then I would have to call a timeout and remind them how they should play or remind them where they should go at a certain time. I had to remind them at times they could do this and they had the talent. I had to individually tell a couple of my players that I knew they could do it, but they had to know they could. In the end, the girls came out on top and proved so much to themselves and to me. I found myself so proud to say those girls were my team. I looked out at them when they would score a basket or do something great and I found myself so thrilled to say 'those were my girls'.

I got to thinking about it on the ride home. It reminded me so much of my relationship with God. He's my coach... he tells me what I need to do and shows me the 'ropes'. I have moments when I'm playing this game of life and I completely and totally forget everything I've learned. I screw up somehow and I lose track of everything. My Father shakes his head and rubs his hand through his hair... he calls a timeout and reminds me of who I am... he reminds me I can do it and shows me the play again and where I should be. He is right by my side cheering me on. He grabs me by the face and looks at me in the eyes. He lets me know I am his and that I have all the ability in the world to do this thing called life because he's been my coach. When I do something right God can sit back and with his head raised high and his chest swelling with pride. He looks out and says 'that's my girl'.

3 comments:

.suz. said...

awesome! you have a gift of taking real life and applying it to a Christian walk- 'that's MY friend!'

Anonymous said...

Congrats coach!

Those girls are very fortunate to have you as their coach...

ruthrap said...

just catching up with your posts tonite and glad i stopped in....you got the best Coach!