Thursday, February 1, 2007

LOST

One of my best friends and her husband love the show LOST. I have heard for months about this show and how great it is... blah blah blah. I tried to watch an episode back in the first season, but I'd missed quite a bit of the show and was completely lost (no pun intended). After hearing about how great the show was I simply asked my friend to just catch me up so I could begin in the third season. After she quit laughing at me... she told me she would never be able to explain. I would have to see for myself. Determined to not like the show, I rented the first season on Friday of last week. I'm completely and totally hooked.

This is one of the best shows I've ever seen. I've never watched a show that's kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat quite like this one. I find myself with a dropped jaw at the end of each episode thrilled that I don't have to wait until next week to find out what happened. There are so many questions and so few answers. Just the time you think you have something figured out... a new character or problem comes wandering into the jungle.

These perfect strangers are thrown together in awkward situations. They don't know one another and some would rather not get to know one another. The interesting part about this show is that it brings each of the characters of the show with such different backgrounds. They all have something they've left behind... an interesting story you don't have all the pieces to or perhaps a jaded past. I can't help but wonder about the people they have left behind. The people that most likely think they are dead. I wonder what kind of legacy these people have left. When they got on that plane, they had no idea they would end up on an island in the middle of nowhere. How would they be remembered?

I don't often think about my 'legacy'. I expect that tomorrow I'll wake up and go to work. This weekend I'll go cross country skiing and next weekend my girls have a basketball tournament. I don't expect that tomorrow might be my last day. I often try to live for today. If I have an opportunity to do something I usually take it, but what will people say about me when I'm gone? It's easy to think about that in 50 or so years. At 24 it doesn't cross my mind that often. Every day is a chance I can make a difference. A day I can make a lasting impact on someone. Do I want to be remembered as a driven hard-headed woman or a woman that sought after God's own heart? Do I want the girls on my team to say I was the hardest coach they had ever had? That I ran them harder and pushed them more than anyone they've ever know? Or do I want my girls to say, 'Yes, she pushed us... but not only did she push us to be better athletes, she pushed us to be better Christians?'. I would definitely take the latter. I highly doubt tomorrow you will wake up on an island in the middle of nowhere... but just say you do... how will you be remembered?

2 comments:

.suz. said...

I will be remembered as the friend you made you watch LOST and to which you owe gratitude and thanks.

and the friend who helped coin and join you in being a P32...

and hopefully- your accountability partner and forever holy rector.

:)

alicia said...

but of course all that and more... but especially the last part about the forever holy rector...