Thursday, February 22, 2007

Out of the Pit...

I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord.
Psalm 40:1-3

Have you been to the pit? I have... many times. I've camped out there, I've been miserable there, I've cried there and I've absolutely thought I would die there. It's takes a lot to get out of it. It's never something you can do alone. God's pulled me out more times than I can count and used some really great people in my life to help me of other others. I know someone else who's spent time in the pit (if we're all honest then most of us certainly have)... my brother. The good news... he's no longer there.

My brother is only 15 months younger than I am. More times than not we felt like twins. We were close in age and close in attitude. We were both usually in trouble for different things. Aaron was hard-headed and would do the same thing over and over and I was manipulative and would find new ways to do whatever it was and still get in trouble. We played hard on teams with each other and even harder against each other. No matter how much we fought or how angry we would be at one another... if there was 1 person I could always believe would be on my side, it was him.

I can't even explain to you how honored I am to have the brother I have. He's been there for me and stood up for me at times no one else was there. He's been my biggest cheerleader and my most loyal fan. We don't always see eye to eye, but when it comes to pushing me along, it never seems to matter. You see, Aaron and I have both been in the pit. We've lived and breathed the pit, but we've both gotten out. I can't tell you how proud I am of my brother's fight to get out of the pit. I could go on and on about the difficulties he has faced in his life and the situations he's overcome to get out of it. He's fought tooth and nail to get where he is today and it's my turn to be his cheerleader. I'm so incredibly humbled to know him and even more honored to call him my brother. He's an amazing person and a witness and example for all. I love you, Aaron and I am SO very thankful for you... you are my hero.

1 comment:

Little Steps Of Faith said...

I think that is a beautiful tribute to God and your brother:-)