Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The success of failure

Sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it? One of my favorite quotes of all time is from Michael Jordan (imagine that).

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." ~Michael Jordan

While I believe only true failure comes from quitting, I love this idea. I love it and I get it. Michael Jordan wasn't the greatest player ever in basketball because he won championships, scoring titles, dunk competitions and took the game to another level. He was the greatest player because of what he overcame to get the those places. True success cannot be met without obstables on the course to that success.

I'm coaching a girls basketball team right now. They are the coolest group of girls. God couldn't have given me a better group. My age group is junior high so a lot of what we do in practice is for them to learn the game. The game starts with fundamentals and much of what I teach them they will carry to their high school days and if I miss something, they will be behind on the high school level. I love coaching. I believe it's my true passion in life. I love to play, but there's something about teaching these girls to love the game that gets my blood pumping. I want them to love it like I do and I want them to win. I want them to want to win.

I used to think winning was everything. To this day, I hate to lose anything. God has shown me through coaching these girls that winning isn't everything. The true measure of success isn't met by what that scoreboard says... it's what they give with their heart.

Success is an interesting thought. When am I successful? Sure, when I do something well or I excel in something, but can I understand my true success if I haven't first failed? I know for my life, the greatest success I've experienced was previously met by one of the most grueling battles I've fought... and lost. I don't know and understand the value of success from the mountaintop... I know it from the valley I was in before that mountain top. The principle doesn't just apply to sports or a job. What about success in our Christian walk? When we mess up and experience God's grace yet one more time, we can understand what it really feels like to be successful. It's the same theme all over again... for his power is perfected in weakness. When I am weak, then he is strong. Seems like that lesson keeps following me around wherever I go.

1 comment:

.suz. said...

...it follows you and me both!

Hey- remember that day in the rollo room and the song by Ray Boltz- Thank you for giving to the Lord... I have a life that was changed...? I pointed to you and you shook your head no... now it's time for you to believe it! That is YOU- in the lives of those jr. high girls. You are going to make an impact in their lives- and as a mom, and your friend- I can honestly say they are blessed to have you!