Monday, January 8, 2007

Crash and Burn

I feel like I've been truly initiated into a Michigan/Indiana winter. Last night we had a little bit of snow and a whole lot of ice. This morning my car decided to get in a fight with it. Needless to say, my car didn't win. I hit ice and spun my car around into a ditch. Not fun. The car had to be towed and I'm awaiting the list of damages. I don't think it's pretty.

Over and over today I heard one basic thing... thank God you're not hurt. It's true. The way I hit, what my car did (it tried to flip, but the bank was too high)... it's incredible that there's nothing wrong with me. The people behind me ran over to me because they thought I cracked my head open and while I had a little of a headache... not even a bump.

After I got my rental car today (which thank the Lord my insurance covered) I drove by where the accident happened. I was naturally a bit shaken, but I paid attention to what was before and after the exact spot I hit. If I had hit before I actually did, I would have flipped my car because it was an open field. If I had hit after, I would have crashed into a group of trees. I almost broke down in tears. It doesn't matter where we are or what situation we are in... we are never out of our Father's reach. When I wrecked my car today, it wasn't a shock to God. He wasn't suprised to see me take a spin and crash into the ditch. He knew and he guided every moment of it and every movement my body made. Only by his divine grace did I not receive injury. Only by his doing was there not another car on the road that I could have hit. From the lady stopping and waiting with me til the police got there to the insurance covering my car rental... I see God. Whatever happened to me today, God was there. There are a million scenarios that could have happened today. Regardless, God was in control and as long as I'm under the hand of the Savior, I'm as safe in a spinning car as I am sitting in my house tonight. God is good... all the time. If we're willing to accept the easy times, we have to be willing to accept those times life just doesn't feel to go 'our' way. I guess that's the point... our ways aren't his ways... and He's never been wrong.

1 comment:

Bobby said...

Oh my, I'm mighty glad you're okay. I don't have much to say beyond that, but I'm terribly sorry to hear what happened.